Working with Young People with Challenging Behaviour in the Outdoors
Level 3 OCN (3 credits) – with Jon Cree and Lily Horseman
When: 28th-30th September 2015
Where: Rookhow, Grizedale, Cumbria
Cost: £300 (includes basic accommodation in the bunk house)
Download a booking form to reserve a place on this course.
This is a 3 day OCN-WMR accredited course worth 3 credits.
Delivered by Jon Cree (chair of the Forest School Association) and Lily Horseman (kindling)
We will delve into:
- what challenges us as leaders in the outdoors;
- theory on challenging behaviour;
- up-to-date neural research;
- triggers and causes for challenging behaviour;
- ways of dealing with ‘real life’ scenarios;
- de-escalation and formulating/reviewing your own policies, including looking at the validity of sanctions and rewards.
As this is an OCN Level 3 course worth 3 credits it will require participants to reflect on their own practice and write up a workbook after the course which we estimate would take approx 8 hours work.
It is suitable for people who have trained as Forest School practitioners or who work in the outdoors.
“This course has really helped me re-appraise the way I work with some of our students and has actually given me new strategies for working with challenges that have worked!” ~ participant from February 2011 course